Sunday, February 19, 2012

CANNOT INSERT A NULL VALUE INTO TABLE RECORD

Hi all!

I'm runing an access application that has an sql server 2000 as its back end. Up to few weeks ago everything was fine, but now when a user tries to add a record from an access form into the database I get an error that it cannot insert a null value into the field.

The two fields that cause the problem do not allow nulls as they keep the user name and the time that the record was inserted into the table.

I trace the access program but I cannot pinpoint where the valuees are inserted into the table. All the other fields are bound on the form. When the problem first appeard I found out that at that same day the active directory server that keeps the logins to the network was restarded. The problem appears on the live database that the users use and as well as on my test sql server that is not connected to the main database server but is instaled on my pc together with the access application.

But I still have to login onto the same network to use my pc that is part of the same domain

The authentication on the sql server 2000 is windows only.

Any solutions or directions for this proplems?

Thanks for any help

George

Hi,

One initial step you could try would be to use SqlProfiler to see what you are insterting into the table so that you can see if the fields are misaligned by your program or not. Based on your input, I would also make some explicit checks in the program to ensure that your username is being appropriately set so that you can find out if the active directory server is correctly configured.

I hope this helps,

John (MSFT)

|||

Thanks for the promt reply!

Using the sql profiler gives me no clue.

This is the insert query from the profiler.

exec sp_executesql N'INSERT INTO "ENVIS_GSD".."wat_springflow" ("result_dt","site_id","result_va","remark_tx") VALUES (@.P1,@.P2,@.P3,@.P4,@.P5,@.P6)', N'@.P1 datetime,@.P2 int,@.P3 float,@.P4 nvarchar(4),@.P5 varchar(3),@.P6 datetime', 'Feb 10 2009 12:00:00:000AM', 3000723, 8.000000000000000e-001, N'test'

The two records that I get the proplem on are not included here, but somehow they have been updated. I traced the access code, but I could see no reference to them that they were used for the update in either the form or any modules called.

Somehow up to a few weeks ago those two columns were updated.

Tracing the code and using the immediate window the user_name variable stores the login name corectly.

Someone mentioned "error 28" any ideas?

Thanks in advance

George

No comments:

Post a Comment