Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cannot Install Reporting Services Components!

I have set up a Virtual Machine that runs Windows Server 2003 x64.
When I come to install SQL Server Express edition the Reporting
Services components don't even show up as options for installation.
Oh, I'm installing Express edition with advanced services by the way
and I have the 3.0 .NET services already in place. I don't have IIS
installed though, and I don't know if that is related (it's the only
warning I get during install). I can only see Client and Database
components in the install. I'm trying to create a virtualized
environment where I can do some testing and run the Adventure Works
DBs... that way I have a place to train using the Microsoft training
modules. Tht way, it will not affect any of the real databases we use.IIS has to be there. Reporting Services is an asp.net application. RS 2005
is a 2.0 framework application (so 3.0 framework is of no use to it).
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Ayman" <aymantg@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1180621469.669972.171680@.g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>I have set up a Virtual Machine that runs Windows Server 2003 x64.
> When I come to install SQL Server Express edition the Reporting
> Services components don't even show up as options for installation.
> Oh, I'm installing Express edition with advanced services by the way
> and I have the 3.0 .NET services already in place. I don't have IIS
> installed though, and I don't know if that is related (it's the only
> warning I get during install). I can only see Client and Database
> components in the install. I'm trying to create a virtualized
> environment where I can do some testing and run the Adventure Works
> DBs... that way I have a place to train using the Microsoft training
> modules. Tht way, it will not affect any of the real databases we use.
>|||On May 31, 10:34 am, "Bruce L-C [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@.hotmail.com>
wrote:
> IIS has to be there. Reporting Services is an asp.net application. RS 2005
> is a 2.0 framework application (so 3.0 framework is of no use to it).
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Ayman" <ayma...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1180621469.669972.171680@.g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> >I have set up a Virtual Machine that runs Windows Server 2003 x64.
> > When I come to install SQL Server Express edition the Reporting
> > Services components don't even show up as options for installation.
> > Oh, I'm installing Express edition with advanced services by the way
> > and I have the 3.0 .NET services already in place. I don't have IIS
> > installed though, and I don't know if that is related (it's the only
> > warning I get during install). I can only see Client and Database
> > components in the install. I'm trying to create a virtualized
> > environment where I can do some testing and run the Adventure Works
> > DBs... that way I have a place to train using the Microsoft training
> > modules. Tht way, it will not affect any of the real databases we use.
Ok, so I'll install IIS before running SQL Server installation.
Correction, I installed 2.0 .NET framework then I installed the SDK
(300mb) version on after that. Is that going to be ok? 3.0 is the
Vista one, my mistake. Is the initial reason why RS does not show up
in the installation because IIS is not there? It's just invisible.|||The issue with the 2.0 framework is whether the website is setup to be
running the framework. IIS has to be there for RS to install.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Ayman" <aymantg@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1180627922.532307.151760@.q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> On May 31, 10:34 am, "Bruce L-C [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@.hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> IIS has to be there. Reporting Services is an asp.net application. RS
>> 2005
>> is a 2.0 framework application (so 3.0 framework is of no use to it).
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "Ayman" <ayma...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1180621469.669972.171680@.g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>> >I have set up a Virtual Machine that runs Windows Server 2003 x64.
>> > When I come to install SQL Server Express edition the Reporting
>> > Services components don't even show up as options for installation.
>> > Oh, I'm installing Express edition with advanced services by the way
>> > and I have the 3.0 .NET services already in place. I don't have IIS
>> > installed though, and I don't know if that is related (it's the only
>> > warning I get during install). I can only see Client and Database
>> > components in the install. I'm trying to create a virtualized
>> > environment where I can do some testing and run the Adventure Works
>> > DBs... that way I have a place to train using the Microsoft training
>> > modules. Tht way, it will not affect any of the real databases we use.
> Ok, so I'll install IIS before running SQL Server installation.
> Correction, I installed 2.0 .NET framework then I installed the SDK
> (300mb) version on after that. Is that going to be ok? 3.0 is the
> Vista one, my mistake. Is the initial reason why RS does not show up
> in the installation because IIS is not there? It's just invisible.
>|||On May 31, 4:58 pm, "Bruce L-C [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@.hotmail.com>
wrote:
> The issue with the 2.0 framework is whether the website is setup to be
> running the framework. IIS has to be there for RS to install.
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Ayman" <ayma...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1180627922.532307.151760@.q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > On May 31, 10:34 am, "Bruce L-C [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@.hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> IIS has to be there. Reporting Services is an asp.net application. RS
> >> 2005
> >> is a 2.0 framework application (so 3.0 framework is of no use to it).
> >> --
> >> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> >> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >> "Ayman" <ayma...@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>news:1180621469.669972.171680@.g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> >> >I have set up a Virtual Machine that runs Windows Server 2003 x64.
> >> > When I come to install SQL Server Express edition the Reporting
> >> > Services components don't even show up as options for installation.
> >> > Oh, I'm installing Express edition with advanced services by the way
> >> > and I have the 3.0 .NET services already in place. I don't have IIS
> >> > installed though, and I don't know if that is related (it's the only
> >> > warning I get during install). I can only see Client and Database
> >> > components in the install. I'm trying to create a virtualized
> >> > environment where I can do some testing and run the Adventure Works
> >> > DBs... that way I have a place to train using the Microsoft training
> >> > modules. Tht way, it will not affect any of the real databases we use.
> > Ok, so I'll install IIS before running SQL Server installation.
> > Correction, I installed 2.0 .NET framework then I installed the SDK
> > (300mb) version on after that. Is that going to be ok? 3.0 is the
> > Vista one, my mistake. Is the initial reason why RS does not show up
> > in the installation because IIS is not there? It's just invisible.
Ok I got it working. I had to setup up IIS and then make it so that
it will work in 32-bit mode. Afterwards it started working. I'm
thinking I could have just put the 180 day demo version on instead of
the express edition since it has more functionality. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment