Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cannot register notification services

Hi everyone,

It's going to drive me crazy. I don't know why I cannot register my notification service. I have got this error:

"The performance counter category could not be installed. Category Name: NS$CustomerInterfaceInstance:Vacuumer"

Additionnal information: "Cannot create Performance Category 'NS$CustomerInterfaceInstance:Vacuumer' because it already exists. (System)"

I tried to delete the notification, close SQL ServerManagement Studio, but I always have the same error.

I installed two times these same notifications in other computers and never seen that before. I tried to change the name of my instance because it seems that it doesn't delete something but I've got the same error with my former instance name NS$CustomerInterfaceInstance.

I don't understand anything, it's crazy!

Please help me, if you had the same problem or if you know how to fix it.

Thank you,

Aurelie.

CableOrganizer.com

Hi Aurelie -

To get back to where you want to be, that is to be able to create the instance, try unregistering the instance (even though it may not completely exist). You may have to use the NSCommandPrompt to do this if it doesn't appear in Management Studio.

Then delete the instance. As counter-intuitive as it may sound, it's possible to delete an instance (which occurs only within SQL Server) without unregistering it. If you do so, that leaves the registry entries, performance counters, and even the instance service in tact, and you cannot re-register an instance of the same name.

After deleting the instance, you can verify that the instance is truly removed by looking in the msdb system database in the NS90.NSInstanceInfo table. For more information about that, check here:
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/archive/2007/08/23/60305.aspx

After this, you should be able to create your instance again.

HTH...

Joe|||

Thank you so much Joe for your quick response.

I asked yesterday my manager to reboot the server and this morning everything was alright...

Some things are very weird....

Thank you anyway,

Aurelie.

No comments:

Post a Comment