Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cannot Remove SQL 2005 June CTP

I have SQL 2005 June CTP installed and running. I previously had VS 2005 CTP installed as well. I removed VS with the beta removal tool and installed the release version. I am now trying to remove SQL and cannot do it.

First I tried Add / Remove programs. I chose remove for SQL 2005 and it removed the entry from Add / Remove programs but did nothing else. I then tried the beta removal tool sqlbuw.exe on the CD which detectes 3 instances of SQL 2005 but when it tries to remove them it says "There are no SQL Server 2005 or .NET Framework components to uninstall. You may now run the setup wizard to install new instances."

When I run the setup wizard it says i must uninstall the previous incompatible beta versions first.

Talk about catch 22. Are there instructions for manually removing SQL 2005 June CTP?

Thanks
MartinMartin,

It sounds like you got yourself into trouble by removing VS prior to SQL Server. The SQL Server uninstall requires that .Net Framework 2.0 still be present on the machine. The reason for this is some assemblies are placed in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) and the only way to clean up the GAC is through the .Net Framework.

We have an uninstall script that I can send you. You should know that this script is not supported and is not tested to a full release level. We've been using it internally and I've given it out to some folks - we've had no reports of the script causing any machine corruption, however, this is a run at your own risk deal. If you're interested in the script email me at dan.jones@.microsoft.com.

Cheers,
Dan|||Unfortuantly the script did not work and a rebuild was required. At least my computer is faster now :o)

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment