Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cannot Remotely Access SQL Server Standard Named Instance

Good Day,

I am creating a SQL Named instance as a testing environment. This instance is on the same physical box as my Development environment, both are SQL 2005 standard edition. From the server in Management Studio, I can load, and interact with both instances. From a remote connection (e.g., my pc) I cannot access the named instance. I am getting the following:

Connect to Server

X Cannot connect to <server>\<named instance>

Additional Information

An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Sever 2006, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)(Microsoft SQL Server)

I have checked, and rechecked the server settings for this named instance, and remote connections are set to "allow" I have enabled TCPIP and Named Pipes prototocals, and have ensured that my firewall is allowing the "listenting port" for the named instance, and have even tried turning off my XP firewall during testing.

I am sure that I have probably missed something, and have searched the community but only have been able to find resolutions that I have already tried. Is there more?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you can provide.

hi mt,

please be guided by this article

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/AddPost.aspx?PostID=807492&SiteID=1

regards,

joey

|||" error: 26 - Error

Locating Server/Instance Specified", it means that it's trying to

locate the SQL Server using SSRP but could not get contact with SQL

Browser. So, please make sure your SQL Browser is running.

|||Yes, that is absolutely it. I did not set up the Browser Severvice to run. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment