Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cannot register subscriber

We are setting up a test laptop to use with Merge replication to a SQL 2K
server that serves as both Publisher and Distributor. I was hoping to
create a push subscription but that needs a register server setup that does
not work. When I go to register the server (MSDE on laptop) from the
Publisher, it shows the laptop computer name in the "Select a SQL Server"
dialog box. But when I select it and choose to connect using either windows
authentication OR SQL server login I get the message "SQL Server does not
exist or access denied". When I setup the laptop with MSDE, I set the
authentication to be "Mixed" and entered a strong sa password. Can someone
tell me why this is happening?
p.s. I can setup the laptop as a subscriber using anonymous settings using
Windows Synchronization Manager from the laptop just fine.
David
Unregister this SQL Server in Enterprise Manager and then add it back again.
I think you are having name resolution problems.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"David Chase" <dlchase@.lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
news:eRe$lX0BGHA.3584@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> We are setting up a test laptop to use with Merge replication to a SQL 2K
> server that serves as both Publisher and Distributor. I was hoping to
> create a push subscription but that needs a register server setup that
> does not work. When I go to register the server (MSDE on laptop) from the
> Publisher, it shows the laptop computer name in the "Select a SQL Server"
> dialog box. But when I select it and choose to connect using either
> windows authentication OR SQL server login I get the message "SQL Server
> does not exist or access denied". When I setup the laptop with MSDE, I
> set the authentication to be "Mixed" and entered a strong sa password.
> Can someone tell me why this is happening?
> p.s. I can setup the laptop as a subscriber using anonymous settings using
> Windows Synchronization Manager from the laptop just fine.
> David
>
|||That did not work.
David
"Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cotter@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OxlsptDCGHA.1288@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Unregister this SQL Server in Enterprise Manager and then add it back
> again. I think you are having name resolution problems.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
> "David Chase" <dlchase@.lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
> news:eRe$lX0BGHA.3584@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
|||What is the sa account you are using? It should be the sa account of the
publisher - not the subscriber.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"David Chase" <dlchase@.lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
news:ORhLPe$CGHA.4080@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> That did not work.
> David
> "Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cotter@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OxlsptDCGHA.1288@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment